Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sick...Again....

So I know about a month ago around Valentine's Day, I seemed to have figured out that it's possible that going out and drinking all the time, staying out late, and making out with boys can lead to catching viruses and getting a girl sick.

But apparently I did not get the message, because this past month, I drank A LOT, stayed out late many times, and yes, I even made out with a few boys. So I suppose it was inevitable that I would wind up bedbound again with some icky virus and a fever of 102.6 with no one to blame but myself.

I'm starting to think that maybe I have a holiday curse this year. I was deathly ill on Valentine's Day, I was sick on St. Patty's Day, what's next? I'll get mono on the Fourth of July?

The good news is I've now gotten this being sick thing down to an art. I have everything a sick person needs within easy access: Emergen-C, TheraFlu, cough syrup, pain killers/fever relievers, the special tissues with aloe lotion and Vicks, etc, etc.

Plus I've been able to catch up on a lot of television. Seriously, what did sick people do before DVR and internet streaming was invented? I suppose those were the days when you HAD to watch the daytime soaps because they were all that were on at the time. But now, I can watch entire seasons of Gilmore Girls and the West Wing at the press of a button. Amazing.

I guess the only good thing that has come out of the constant sickness this year is that I've learned to cope with being sick all by myself so many times now that it's become easy. The first couple times I got sick without a boyfriend by my side, I felt so sad and hopeless that I didn't have someone to take care of me, someone to make sure I didn't die.

But now, I'm the one who runs out to Duane Reade to get the meds I need and to the grocery store to buy Gatorade and soup, and I'm completely capable. Plus it's nice being able to sleep whenever I feel like it, and not worry about waking someone up when I need to take some cough syrup at 4AM. Or worry about how unattractive I am when I'm in bed unshowered and surrounded by tissues.

Not that I'm saying being sick is fun in the slightest, because I hate it, and I am looking forward to the day that I can breathe out of both nostrils at the same time and finish a full sentence without coughing.

It can't be soon enough that I can resume my normal schedule of drinking, staying out all night, and making out with boys.

Just kidding. I obviously know better than that.

Right?

No comments: