Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lessons Learned

In Biology, there is something known as a "set point," which is the "level or point at which a variable physiological state (as body temperature or weight) tends to stabilize." This has entered the lexicon lately as experts debate whether dieting can actually ever cause some people to permanently lose weight, because there is a weight that is natural for them to return to, no matter what their eating habits are.

Don't worry, this has absolutely nothing to do with obesity, but I've been starting to think that there are also psychological set points. For example, people all have a repeated pattern of dealing with stress: for some it's drinking; for some it's drugs; for some it's chocolate; for some it's physical activity (those bastards); for me, unfortunately, it's smoking. Everyone has patterns and habits that are second nature to them, and similarly I think most people have a "type" of person that they are innately attracted to.

For example, my friend S always dates oddball artist types who tend to not have health insurance and/or full-time jobs. My friend R is always attracted to smart girls who are also athletic and into sports. L is drawn to very typically pretty girls who are lacking in the personality department (and almost always strikes out with them).

And as much as I hate to admit it, I have a very clear pattern in the guys that I date and find myself interested in. They all tend to be slightly arrogant (or totally egocentric as the case might be), ambitious, funny brunettes who are smart and slightly nerdy.

Just to prove my point, when I was out at a bar with my friend K the other night, I was eye-banging a very hot brunette guy. When I asked my bartender friend who the hot guy was, he told me, "Oh that's P. He's a nice guy, but he's actually kind of nerdy."

At which point my friend K rolled her eyes, laughed, and said, "Well now it's a done deal. Before she just thought he was cute, but now she's alllllll his."

I would've protested, but it was so true that I couldn't really do anything but laugh.

I have a lot more to say on the subject, but this post has already gotten quite long so I'm going to turn this into a two-parter. More tomorrow. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I completely agree with your assessment of your type. Your past ones really aren't that nerdy. If you're looking for what I mean by nerdy, look at my ex-boyfriends.

Anonymous said...

I dont know if i can wait until tomorrow! what happened? did you approach him?
sounds like you found the subject of some more great posts!
Can't wait to hear what his nickname will be! lol

-K