Sunday, April 20, 2008

Feeling Ambivalent

Last night I went out with some friends for drinks when Celebrity Connections Boy texted me to see what I was up to and I invited him to come meet up with us.

I had liked him immensely when I met him so I was looking forward to seeing him and getting to know him better. He's a great guy, very good on paper in addition to being a genuinely nice, friendly person.

We had a good time and I was thinking I might actually be interested in him until...well, until he decided to tell me exactly how he feels about me.

It started out innocently enough. He told me the night we had met, he had seen me in the bar before we started talking and that he had thought I was very pretty but had no idea how to approach me. Then, while I was occupied with St. Paddy's Day Boy, my girlfriend B had started talking to his group about the hockey game that was on. When I found B and joined in their conversation, to quote him, "I couldn't believe my luck that you were friends with her and you would talk to me."

He then proceeded to tell me how "awesome" he thought I was and how much he liked me. He used the word "perfect" to describe me at some point, and that was really the last straw.

Ok I know this is going to sound a little crazy, but one of the best parts of dating is not knowing exactly how the other person feels about you and that "does he like me?" excitement. So when someone spells it out for you on the very first date, when they barely know you, it kind of ruins all the fun. And if you're me, it freaks you out completely and gives you the urge to run for the hills and change your phone number and locks.

Before you think I am completely insane, please keep in mind that I was (and am) still trying to sort through whether I would have to throw him into the friend zone, or if it could be something more. I don't even know if I'm really attracted to the guy and he's already decided that I'm the girl for him.

Then today, while I was still semi-freaked out from last night, I received a text from him saying "I had a great time last night. I would love to take you out this week if you're free." Yes, folks, he L-bombed me. Already. I am buying a taser tomorrow.

No comments: