Saturday, April 12, 2008

To Be Utterly Fair....

For probably the past five years, my friend J has been my prime consultant for boy issues, and reciprocally, he has come to me for girl advice. He is always on the lookout for my best interests, gives me the male perspective on my questions, and is the appropriate level of outraged when someone screws me over. I, in turn, listen to his girl woes, guide him on how to proceed when he meets someone he likes, and am the appropriate level of outraged when someone screws him over.

Needless to say, we do a lot of bitching about the opposite sex, and he recently pointed out to me that I don't make guys look so good in this blog, but I never give the other side of the story. Since my romantic liaisons are with males, I don't have (many) anecdotes involving dating and the fairer sex, but J was right.

Girls can be just as bad, if not worse, as guys when it comes to disappearing, dropping off the face of the earth, being rude and mean, what have you. J was hot and heavy with a girl for three months recently and one day she just stopped responding to his text messages and calls and he hasn't heard from her since. It sounds remarkably like my story with Logan Boy, which goes to show you that both guys and girls can pull this shit.

I don't really understand why people (please note the gender-neutral term usage here) do this; it's not even a dating thing, it's just common decency not to completely ignore someone that you have spent some time with. I have been going off the assumption that guys are immature and cannot deal with confrontation, which is why they choose to completely avoid the issue and disappear (yes, I'm looking at you NJ Boy), but girls do this too.

Yes, it might be briefly uncomfortable to tell someone you don't want to see them anymore, and then possibly lie about it, but we're all grownups. Suck it up and do it. Or you can do what I do, which is break up with him over instant messenger and then post the conversation verbatim to your blog.

No comments: