Friday, April 17, 2009

It's a Man Date!

So I don't know why, but one day my girlfriend R and I got it into our pretty little heads that my male bestie L needed more guy friends, and in the interest of helping him out, we should set him up on a man date. So we found a suitable candidate, D, thoroughly vetted him, and started plotting.

The original plan, aka "Operation: Bromance" was to invite both of them to dinner and then both have "emergencies" so we couldn't show up. However, because we are good people (fine, not-terrible people), we would leave them a list of topics at the restaurant that they have in common, including their jobs, sports teams, and a shared heterosexual love of showtunes.

But then last night R and I were out and texted D to see what he was up to and he agreed to come meet us for a drink. So we moved the plan onto the fast track and called L to come meet us as well.

L and D showed up to the bar and literally after half an hour, I left because I had an early morning. Ten minutes letter, R announced she had to go home, leaving L and D alone on their man date at the bar.

And yes, we are already aware that we are complete and utter assholes.

I wasn't too worried about L because he knows me well enough to know that I usually have something up my sleeve.

But D, on the other hand, totally oblivious, probably thought he was getting attention from two girls, meaning one of us was interested in him. And then he shows up at the bar to have both R and I be like, "Sorry we gotta go, but here meet heterosexual guy pal L. You two have a lot in common. Showtunes. Discuss!"

Within an hour of leaving the bar, I got quite the angry text from L about my deception, which was totally warranted under the circumstances.

So, today, when recapping with R, we reluctantly agreed that Operation: Bromance had been a total fail and we wouldn't be winning any prizes for good deeds in the near future.

But then I got a text from L that he had invited D to a party tonight. Which means they exchanged numbers and are going out again together. Which means that Operation: Bromance might have been a total success!!!!!

I'm expecting my thank you card in the mail any day now, although I'm not sure Hallmark makes a card that says, "Thanks for bailing on me and setting me up on a totally blatant man date. You're a great friend for caring so much."

Of course, the unforeseen consequence of this little experiment is now none of my guy friends will trust me whatsoever (as they probably shouldn't) and any time I ask them to hang out, they will probably make sure that I am not about to make up an excuse to take off and leave them alone with some dude that I have deemed suitable for platonic male companionship.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking I might have a career in this and I can set up my own matchmaking service for guys who want bromances. If you have a friend or brother or weird cousin or stalker or misfit coworker in need of my services, please feel free to send them in my direction.

No comments: