Sunday, July 27, 2008

Getting Away

In typical NYC fashion, I've been spending the majority of my weekends outside of the city to escape the vicious heat and humidity. And I've learned that nothing makes me appreciate home like getting away, even briefly.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love to travel. It's probably my number one love, directly followed by shopping. And throw travel and shopping together and I'm just a hog in heaven. I spent part of my childhood living abroad and have been traveling around the world for as long as I can remember. Since the big South Africa trip in January, I haven't had time to leave the country again but have been regularly taking trips around the US.

And even after a short weekend away, I get so excited to walk around the steamy city, walk into my steamy apartment, and climb into my own bed.

I've been contemplating whether it's time for me to make a new start in a new city, so I've been systematically evaluating and rejecting all the cities that I've been visiting. I've already crossed off Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Vineyard Haven, and White Plains. Next on the list is the West Coast.

But I have a feeling no matter where I go, no other city will compare. I may get tired of it, but I couldn't live without the endless bustle, the noise, the hoards of people, the constant excitement.

I may eventually just have to accept that I am a New York girl through and through.

No comments: