Friday, July 18, 2008

Opening Up the Ex-Files

Once upon a time in the magical land of Westchester, two teenagers met in history class, became friends, went through a series of ups and downs, and eventually fell in love.

Before you go vomiting in your mouth, don't worry, this is not going to be THAT kind of story. In fact, it's quite the opposite. She went off to college, they cheated on each other repeatedly, and had a heinous, ugly breakup. Awesome, huh?

But eventually, they both got over it, and D and I remain friends to this very day. He is the only ex-boyfriend I am on such good terms with that I've met his girlfriends since.

I am really really bad at maintaining friendships with exes. In my mind, if you were too stupid to lose me in the first place, you don't really deserve to have me in your life. Also, I have a tendency to date assholes (surprise, surprise), so most of them were not worth being friends with in the first place.

D is the one exception, mostly because he is one of the nicest people in the world, and therefore it makes it kind of hard for me to justify calling him a jerk and never speaking to him again. I mean he's such a nice guy that even my mom likes him and my sister leaves messages on his Facebook wall (ridiculous, right?)

Plus, D and I broke up almost ten years ago, so everything that happened between us is so far in the past there are no more hurt feelings. He just moved to Texas to pursue a teaching career, so we caught up over lunch before he left, and it was great to see him. Which makes me wonder if I was being short-sighted in writing off my other exes so quickly...

Nah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last week i stumbled upon your blog while searching for dating advice. I love it. i have read deep into the archives and have visited every day since then to check for your updates. I really love reading the real life stories of dating in NYC.
Keep up the blogging, and meet up with some of the ex's so we can read about some drama!

-K