Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Endings?

Today I spoke to my friend N who told me he had read my blog for the first time and enjoyed it (thanks N!), but that I had to start having some successful dates (as if I didn't know that already!) or it was going to start getting depressing.

Although I knew he was (partially) kidding, the whole thing got me thinking. I am in the process of converting my blog posts and experiences into a novel (if you are a literary agent and like what you see, call me!), and am about 30% of the way through it. Lately, I've realized I have to figure out how I am going to end it so I can start moving my protagonist in some sort of direction. And the truth is I have absolutely no idea how it's going to end, because I have no idea how my story ends.

I'm not sure I believe in the idea of a traditional happy ending, as much as I would like to. I grew up with fairy tales and the idea that once you met someone, that was the happy ending. They never discuss how difficult and torturous what comes after can be. I thought from a young age that my future would include marriage, kids, the house in the burbs, and never even fathomed it could go another way. Now, I'm realizing that may not be the path my life follows, and I have to come to peace with the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I guess my conundrum is: what is the happy ending then, if it doesn't involve Prince Charming? I'll let you know when I find out.

No comments: