Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Reverting Back to High School

Many, many years ago in high school existed the boy that got away, who we are appropriately calling High School Boy. We never dated really (although, really, what is considered dating in high school? Going to see a movie and holding hands?), but there was a mutual crush/attraction that lasted pretty much all four years.

I think the fact that it never actually panned out into anything made it seem all the more romantic when we caught up again years later in the city. And last night, after years of wondering, we had our first date.

Aside from being intensely awkward (how do you catch up someone on your entire life since high school?), it became absurdly clear that we were totally different people, and at that, not very compatible people. To be honest, we were probably not compatible in high school either, but no one knows any better then.

We still had a great time, and at the very least, it was fascinating to see what he was like as a grown-up, after remembering him as a teenager all these years. What's even funnier is that he's still interested in me, and expressed the desire to see me again.

I suppose I will probably see him again (really, why not?), but in a way the whole thing has been another disappointment in a long series of them. Had we never met up, I could've maintained my memories of our unfulfilled high school romance, rather than knowing that it never would've worked out. I suppose that's how these things go.

No comments: