Monday, December 24, 2007

Boy Psychology

I was talking to a friend the other night about how guys seem to have this radar: they seem to know exactly when you want them to call, and that's when they never do, and then the second you lose interest or forget about them is the precise moment they decide they can't get enough of you and reel you back in.

My current dilemma is that the boys I am interested in fall into two categories. Either they are taken (Sneaker Boy, Dirty Boy, PBD) or they are never around (PhD Boy). That leaves me with the guys that I am less interested in, and for some reason, these are the guys that are always calling or texting. It's probably because they perceive my indifference, and then respond to it; or perhaps I'm just not as interested in them because they're available to me and therefore not a challenge.

For instance, J-Boy is quickly becoming a smitten kitten, which was cute and flattering at first, but not so much anymore. Despite telling him not-so-subtly that I don't really have time to see him til 2008, he calls and texts and asks when I'm going to be able to squeeze him into my schedule. And the more he does so, the less I am inclined to see him. My sister E is simultaneously going through the same problem where her ex-boyfriend keeps e-mailing and texting her about how he still loves her, but she has little desire to hear from him right now. Every time he blatantly contacts her, their chances at reconciliation dramatically diminish.

To be utterly fair, I (and probably almost everyone else) have been on the other side of this as well, most recently with Dirty Boy. I was very anxious to hang out with him, but he was constantly busy with his band, and the more he put off seeing me, the more I wanted to. There was no good reason to feel or act this way, since I barely knew the guy and realistically knew that the two of us were completely incompatible and would never have potential for a long-term relationship. Nevertheless, the less interest he showed in me, the more desperate I was for his attention.

I can only count on the fact that when the right guy comes along, we'll be in the same place at the same time and none of this silliness will occur.

No comments: