Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Ex-Factor

Tonight I did something utterly stupid that I should know better than to do: I went out for drinks with an ex-boyfriend.

Just to give you a little backstory, we went out for a year about eight years ago and hadn't seen each other in about five years. After college, he joined the army and is currently on leave and visiting his parents in the city, which is why he reached out to me to get together. We broke up after I cheated on him and ended up dating the guy I cheated on him with for three years, so needless to say, we didn't have a great breakup and the last time we saw each other, there was still a great deal of resentment and anger.

I figured after all this time he would be over anything that had happened, but it turns out these things never really die. I was drinking profusely to counteract the awkwardness of the situation, but it didn't really work. He told me that I had been a basketcase while we were dating, therefore making me a terrible girlfriend at the time, and that all his friends hated me(not surprising, when you throw in the cheating factor).

All in all, it was uncomfortable and weird and the only thing I really walked away with was that I have no idea how I dated him for so long years ago. Also, we probably aren't going to be meeting up again any time soon, partly because he is going abroad for at least another year, but partly because I have no desire to subject myself to his company again.

When I recounted the events to my friend J, he laughed and told me this is exactly why he has a policy of not seeing his exes. Nothing good ever comes out of it. I'm inclined to agree with him and am considering adopting this policy as well.

No comments: