Saturday, February 2, 2008

Friday Night Chaos (aka Why Doesn't J-Boy Just Disappear)

So last night I went out with my girlfriends and then E invited me to a birthday party for a friend. I tagged along but when I arrived at the bar, I suddenly realized it was the bar where I had met J-Boy and knew he frequently came. And lo and behold, we walked in, and he was standing right there at the bar. After hiding out in the back room for 20 minutes, (yes, very mature, but seriously, do you remember this convo?) E yelled at me to get it together and we ventured into the main area of the bar.

The following was pretty much a disaster. He and his friends kept walking by our table to go outside to smoke, and at some point I said hello to his roommate to a slightly chilly reception. When I walked out to smoke with one of my friends, we saw J-Boy come out with a blonde girl (not to be petty at all, but this girl was the definition of "busted" - I was slightly upset to be lumped in the same category with this kind of trash). Deciding I was going to be mature about the whole situation, we walked over and said hi, and I was nothing but friendly. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the whole dumping him over instant messenger thing, but he was really a complete jerk. Later E bumped into him outside and said hi to be polite and came back with the same report: he was being an absolute a-hole.

Of course all my friends and everyone within earshot of the story just found it absolutely hilarious, and I was the butt of jokes for the evening. Slightly later in the night, some friends of E's came to the bar to meet us. I had met them over New Year's Eve, but hadn't really spoken to them since they were all with girlfriends. We started chatting and when I asked where the girlfriends were at, one of them (who is adorable, and this is why I have dubbed him Slingarm), informed me that he was no longer seeing the girl from New Year's Eve. Interesting...

I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say there was a great deal of flirting, hand-holding, hugging, and forehead kisses for the remainder of the night. He handed me his iPhone at one point and I just looked at it, confused, until he prompted me to enter my phone number. Oh, riiiiiiiight. After I got into a cab to go home (of course I didn't go home with him!), I immediately received a text: "Goodness you're adorable."

The great thing about meeting a guy who's friends with your friends is that you can get all the dirt on him from your pals. Plus, if they find the whole thing adorable (which they do), you know that they'll protect you from situations like the one I had with Logan Boy and do everything in their power to throw you two together. I will acknowledge that it is slightly dangerous to date someone that is in your general group of friends because should things go sour, it could get ugly. Hopefully, we are all grown up enough to make sure this will never happen.

No comments: