Monday, February 11, 2008

Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun

So I had a guy (Slingarm) get mad at me this weekend for telling my best friend E that something was going on between us. She, in turn, told one of our other friends, and it of course got back to him, causing a slew of unnecessary drama.

First of all, the words that passed between my friends were just because they found the whole thing adorable, and were hoping Slingarm and I would get together. There was really nothing substantial; just fun gossip. Secondly, did he really think that I wouldn't talk to my best friend about my exploits? I tell my best girlfriends everything - nothing is off limits - so why in the world would he be?

I think when you get involved with anyone in any capacity, you have to expect that you are entering their world and are going to be talked about by their friends. Yes, it does complicate the situation somewhat when there are mutual friends involved, but that was something he already knew very well when he asked me for my phone number.

The whole "keeping things secret" scenario, which is something I went through not too long ago with Coworker Boy, is such an annoying, high school thing. You figure, when you're in high school, that when you "grow up" and enter the real dating world, it's nothing like that. Unfortunately, I keep finding in more ways than one, that a great deal of it is greatly reminiscent of high school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm all caught up. -N