Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting Set Up

I have a general policy of refusing to go out on blind dates. As if regular dates aren't awkward and mortifying enough, throw in the added factor of being strangers and you have a guaranteed night of uncomfortable silences and too much drinking ahead of you.

However, I am amenable to being set up and have been pressuring my friends to invite out guys with whom I might hit it off. So tonight, I went to the party of a friend of mine who's leaving his job, and coincidentally met the single friend he had been meaning to set me up with for a month (but never gotten around to it, because he is a lazy, lazy bastard).

Luckily, alcohol was a part of the equation so when I finally met him (and yes, he was also aware that we were being set up), it wasn't THAT horrible. We laughed about the fact that we were finally meeting after hearing so much about each other (all good things, of course).

He was a very nice guy, open, fun, clearly always the life of the party. He told me that his lifelong dream is to open up an Italian restaurant in the South someday (so we are calling him Italiano), which kind of threw me because that's not something you hear every day, and I'm slightly wary of the South (sorry to all you Southern readers).

He asked if we could hang out again, so I gave him my number. I'm not sure there's any real potential there, but at the least he seems to be a fun guy to know and party with. All in all, not a bad set-up experience!

No comments: